A New Infobar Written in LUA Coming Soon!

Hello everyone.

I have noticed that a majority of the traffic that this blog gets is people interested in the Infobar Windower plugin.  Usually these are people looking for updates, be it the database or (lately) the actual DLL.  If you’re someone who already uses the plugin then you know that it hasn’t been working in quite some time after an XI update completely broke it.  You may be wondering why it hasn’t been updated when pretty much every other addon and plugin has been fixed since then.   To answer that, here’s a quote from Iryoku from the Windower forum:

InfoBar is the hardest plugin we have to maintain. It makes minimal use of the Windower plugin API and does everything its own way. It even implements its own scripting language using a custom-built interpreter. What happens when we fix all of the other plugins is we make a few minor changes to the plugin API source files, and then we can just recompile all the plugins and they’re good to go. With Infobar that doesn’t work, and we have to re-implement all of those fixes again for a completely different API that none of us are familiar with. Knowing this, you might be able to understand why none of us really ever want to tackle fixing InfoBar, and it’s perpetually put off for later.

The solution to this is to emulate the way Infobar works in a brand new LUA-based addon.  Over on the Windower forum the user Kenshi has been doing exactly that.  He basically rewrote Infobar from the ground up using LUA.  What does this mean? Well, it means that when Square-Enix decides to update XI it shouldn’t break anything.  Or, if it does, it should be able to be fixed within a few hours, maybe even a few minutes, afterwards.  Great, right?

What about the old database that I was working on?  Wouldn’t we have to write a brand new one?  Nope.  I spent a chunk of time yesterday writing a LUA sqlite script that could pull the information from the old Infobar database.  This is both good but also a little troublesome as there are some issues that come with this.  The biggest issue is that the database isn’t complete and someone else may have to finish that part up as I just don’t have time to add the dozens of missing monsters and data into the DB any more.  But adding a few dozen is better than having to go back and readd the entire FFXI bestiary.

Anyway, the addon isn’t fully released yet.  I believe Kenshi has one more issue to tackle before it can be released to the general public but it’s getting close.  As a user of Infobar for many, many years I’m super excited for this to finally be working again.  As a fellow user of Infobar I thought it’d be nice to share this information to the people who somehow end up on this blog looking for info on the plugin.  Just hang in there a little longer and it’ll be worth it. 🙂

Advertisements

Infobar Database Version 1.4

Sorry about the long wait in between versions. I promise that the wait will be worth it though. This is probably going to be the last version for quite some time provided no one comments or emails me to let me know of a problem/serious fix that needs to be done. It’s a doozy of an update though so please download it and continue on to see what’s new.

Original Infobar Download
Database Update version 1.4 (November 3, 2010)

Version 1.4 – November 3, 2010
Pretty much every monster in the game should be in this update except for perhaps some of the BCNM/ENMs. I can’t promise that every single monster works and is 100% accurate (you guys will have to test it over time and let me know if there’s anything that isn’t right) but it should be close. I ended up removing the levels for Abyssea mobs that weren’t listed in the wiki. I’ll re-add the levels in the future when they’re more definitive.